Wanted in Waterford

Wanted in Waterford

The O’Hare family lived in Waterford City, a town built on the bank of the Suir River, in the south-east of Ireland. Michael and Mary O’Hare had four known children. Cornelius was the oldest, born in about 1847 and was said to have a murderous temper although he stood only 5 feet 5-1/2 inches tall. His sister, Winifred, born in 1850 appears to have been the responsible one of the O’Hare children. Her brothers, Timothy born in 1853 and Francis born in 1857, were frequently in trouble with the law. It is not known when Michael O’Hare died, but the children were left fatherless at an early age and their mother Mary was given to making excuses for her younger boys.

[aesop_image imgwidth=”content” img=”https://www.thesocialhistorian.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Waterford.jpg” align=”center” lightbox=”on” captionposition=”left” revealfx=”off” overlay_revealfx=”off”]

The O’Hare Boys

Cornelius, the oldest O’Hare boy, was only 14-years-old when he pleaded guilty to being drunk in Tanyard arch on 7 January 1864. Such was his condition that he had to be attended by Dr. Williams and Dr. Cravet while at the station. He was sentenced to a week imprisonment.

Cornelius O’Hare, a juvenile of some fourteen summers, pleaded guilty having been drunk the previous evening, in Tanyard arch. Constable O’Connell staled that O’Hare was the worst case of drunkenness he had ever seen ; he was very bad ; he had to procure a car to bring him the station, and there had to get Dr. Williams and Dr. Cravet to attend on him. The prisoner said he had only taken a couple of pennyworth of beer. The mayor, in justly severe terms, commented on the enormity the prisoner’s conduct, and sentenced him to one week’s imprisonment without fine.<span class="su-quote-cite">Waterford News - Friday 08 January 1864</span>

When he was 19-years-old, Cornelius assaulted his mother Mary at their home on Peter Street in Waterford City on the night of 20 September 1866. Before the younger children could summon the police, he had pulled a knife and wounded Mary. Fortunately, the timely arrival of acting Police Constable Flaellen saved her from serious injury.

Tuesday. —Before the Mayor—a poor woman named O’Hare, who is cursed in the possession of son about nineteen years of age, of murderous intent, appeared to prosecute the hopeless, for having, on the previous evening, at her house in Peter-street, cut and wounded her with knife and was only saved from doing serious injury the timely arrival of Acting Constable Flaellen, who was called in by one of the younger children. The poor woman said she now only wished to get rid of him or to be protected from his violence, and the Mayor ordered him find two sureties of £2 10s each to keep the peace, or in default, three months’ imprisonment, which latter he is now undergoing.<span class="su-quote-cite">Waterford News - Friday 21 September 1866</span>

This was not the first recorded assault by Cornelius O’Hare. On 9 March 1866, he was brought up on charges of assaulting William Conway of John Street on the evening of Wednesday 21 February, but did not appear in court.

The youngest O’Hare boy, Francis, with his grey eyes, light hair and fresh complexion, was also in trouble with the police, but at an even earlier age. When he was 9-years-old on 4 February 1868, he was found with a soldier named Patrick Connolly on Lady Lane. The pair were drunk and were arrested for being so in a public place. Connolly was fined six pence and another six pence costs and Francis was sent to jail for seven days. By the age of 12, it was said that Francis could often be found out on Peter street with prostitutes at one o’clock in the morning.

shot glass

On the morning of 5 January 1869, when Francis was but 12-years-old, he convinced young William Moore to cut school with him. The pair went about the public houses of Waterford, stealing items from each they visited. When brought before the police court, Francis’ mother tried to convince the court that Constables Doyle and Walsh were picking on her boy, but Francis’ history spoke for itself. He was sentenced to one month hard labour while his companion, William Moore, was discharged into his mother’s care.

Francis O’Hare and William Moore, two young lads of from nine to ten years old, were then put at the bar, charged with stealing a naggin, a glass and half glass measures, and a corkscrew, from different public houses in this city on 5th inst. They pleaded guilty. Moore’s mother was in court and said she sent her child to school, and O’Hare met him and brought him away that day. She never knew him to be guilty of such an act before. Sub-constable Doyle said when he arrested the two boys, that Moore told him O’Hare had met him that morning going to school and enticed him away on the promise that he would give him half what they could make. O’Hare’s mother was also present and created much amusement amongst the ‘unwashed’ by the efforts she made to induce the bench to believe that Constables Doyle and Walsh had ‘a down’ on her and her child. Constable Walsh said that on the 4th of February 1866, O’Hare who was but 9 years old, was sent to jail for seven days for drunkenness and was subsequently charged with breaking windows. He had known O’Hare to be out in Peter-street at one o’clock with prostitutes. O’Hare was sentenced to one month at hard labour and Moore was discharged, the court believing that he was led away by the other. <span class="su-quote-cite">Waterford Mail - Monday 11 January 1869</span>

The following year, Cornelius was arrested on the night of 8 April 1870 for refusing to leave Mrs Kearney’s public house on Strand street when Sub-constable Patrick O’Keefe asked him to. He was fined 5s and 6p or if unable to pay, sentenced to a week in gaol.


Not long afterwards, Francis along with John Ryan were arrested on the evening of Wednesday, 1 June, 1870 at the Mall, and charged with stealing two letters and a parcel from out of the Pillar Post. The Chairman interceded in Ryan’s case but 13-year-old Francis was found guilty at the quarter sessions and sentenced to 10 days and 5 years in the Upton Reformatory.

CRIMINAL. BUSINESS. Francis o‘Hure, 11 years, and John Ryan, 8 years, were indicted for that they the evening of the 1st June stole from the letter-receiver at the Mall a number of letters…The following evidence was then given. William Furnace examined Mr. Kelly—l am a clerk in Mr. Doherty’s employment; I posted two letters on Ist June, 1870, (copies of letters produced) Mr Doherty signed the letters (the envelopes produced I wrote on and posted them in letter-receiver on the Mall on the evening of the Ist June ; I put them into the letter-receiver on the Mall. To His Worship—One of the letters was to Alfred Caimess, Edinburgh, tho other Messrs. Nicholson, Edinburgh. Examination continued—Constable Cokely brought the letters produced to Mr. Doherty’s office about week after I posted them. His Worship.—There was no money in the letters.<span class="su-quote-cite">Waterford Standard - Wednesday 29 June 1870</span>

Richard Archer testified that he had been in the Mall on the evening of 1 June and had seen Francis put his hand in the pillar and take the letters out. Both Francis and John Ryan had then run away. Archer easily caught Ryan and afterwards caught Francis. Francis told Archer he would walk to the station, but then took off running again. Archer caught him once more and took him to the barracks on Lady Lane. During the chase, the letters had vanished. Mrs. Ann Power found the letters and gave them to the police.

After some further testimony to ascertain the facts, Francis O’Hare was found guilty and John Ryan acquitted, there being no proof that he had committed any crime.

His Worship in sentencing O’Hare said, that this unfortunate boy could not allowed to go about at large. It was a very painful thing see a lad so young placed in his position, but as he was neglected home, he must be put into an institution where he would brought up well, and where he would taught to be honest. He was to be sent back to jail for fourteen days, and at the expiration of that period confined in reformatory for five years.<span class="su-quote-cite">Waterford Standard - Wednesday 29 June 1870</span>

Not long after Francis was sent to the reformatory, Timothy O’Hare, the middle child in the O’Hare family, and four years older than Francis, was arrested for drunkenness at Broad street on 11 October 1870 and fined 6d and 6d costs, this being his first offence. At the time of his arrest, Timothy was described as having brown hair, a sallow complexion, and a cast in his left eye and baring a crooked scar on his left cheek.

It was only eight days later when Cornelius was arrested for threatening to take the life of Constable Cokely while being held in lockup.

A VIOLENT ROWDY. —At the police court, on Wednesday morning, a man named Cornelius O’Hare was charged by Constable Cokely with and threatening his life while in custody. From the evidence of the constable and some sub-constables, it appeared the prisoner’s conduct was most abusive and threatening, and he deliberately threatened the life of Constable Cokely. His Worship the Mayor bound the prisoner to the peace, himself in £10, and two sureties of £5 each, in default, six months imprisonment.<span class="su-quote-cite">Waterford Mail - Thursday 20 October 1870</span>

Cornelius, who for a time had been a soldier in the 75th Regiment, was now working as a car driver and could not afford the fine or obtain the sureties and was sentenced to spend the next six months in prison. He was let out early however, and on 13 December 1870 was again arrested for being drunk on Peter street. He was fined 2s and 6d and charged 6d in costs or if unable to pay, required to spend 48 hours back in gaol.

[aesop_image imgwidth=”content” img=”https://www.thesocialhistorian.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Row-houses-in-Waterford.jpg” align=”center” lightbox=”on” captionposition=”left” revealfx=”off” overlay_revealfx=”off”]

Meanwhile, Mary was struggling financially and on 10 March 1871, the family was evicted from the room in the Blue Bell where they were staying. Having nowhere else to go, she refused to give up the room and was taken to court by the landlord, Joseph Clampett and forced to vacate.

On 14 September 1871, Timothy was again found drunk, this time on Rose Lane, and was sent to gaol for a week. This was just the beginning of his long and frequent criminal history. On 6 May 1872, he was arrested for riotous behaviour and put in gaol for 48 hours.

It was about this time that his sister Winifred left Ireland, marrying Henry Hall in Surrey in the latter part of 1872.

[aesop_image imgwidth=”content” img=”https://www.thesocialhistorian.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Church.jpg” align=”center” lightbox=”on” captionposition=”left” revealfx=”off” overlay_revealfx=”off”]

On 18 August 1873 at Ballybricken Church in Waterford City, Timothy O’Hare married Bridget Joyce but marriage did not settle Timothy down. On 3 September 1873 he was arrested for being drunk and furiously driving a car at New Gate Street. He was fined £2 6d and 6d costs or only calendar month imprisonment at hard labour.

The following year, Timothy was arrested again for being drunk while in charge of a horse and car at the Mall on 27 January 1874 and while being arrested, he assaulted Thomas McCarthy and was sentenced to three months in gaol. He was out just in time for the birth of his first child. Francis O’Hare was baptized 26 April 1874 at Trinity Without in Waterford City but sadly died shortly afterwards.

Later that year on 23 October 1874, Timothy was again arrested for assault, this time on Patrick Power at Bunkers Hill. On 12 February 1875, Timothy and Bridget were evicted from their two rooms in Gafny’s Lane but refused to give up possession and were taken to court.

Twice the following year, Timothy was charged with assault. The first, on 21 May 1875, he assaulted Laurance Doherty of Manor Street at the Quay but did not appear and then on 27 August, he assaulted Patrick Doherty of Barrack Street at the Railway Station although he again failed to appear.

Meanwhile, still doing time in the reformatory, Francis assaulted Andrew Kelter, a turnkey at the Waterford Gaol and on 3 September 1875, he was sentenced to one month at hard labour in prison.

In October, Timothy and Bridget had another son who they named Michael after Timothy’s father. He was baptised at St. Patrick’s Church in Waterford on 3 October 1875.

On 5 May 1876, Timothy was charged with assault on Henry Foley of Thomas Street and likewise swore a complaint against Foley but neither appeared in the Waterford City Police Court.

After getting out of gaol, Francis had enlisted in the 18th Royal Irish Regiment of Foot. On 6 February 1877 in Belfast, he was charged by Constable Barker with being drunk and disorderly in Great Patrick Street. After being arrested, he assaulted a civilian who came to the assistance of Barker. Leaving Dublin to return to Waterford, Francis was arrested for desertion on 3 May 1877. He was remanded to await the orders of the Secretary of State for War.

About mid October 1880, Timothy and Bridget had a son who they named John, but he contracted measles and died at only 7 days of age.

Throughout 1882 and 1883, Timothy was in and out of court. On 25 August 1882, he was found drunk and disorderly and fined 5s and 1s costs. On 5 January 1883, he was arrested for threatening the life of Anne Whelan, wife of Paul Whelan and was imprisoned for one week and on 12 January he was again found guilty of threatening a life and was fined 10s and 2s costs or one week in prison. A few weeks later on 9 February Timothy and Bridget were evicted and taken to court for withholding possession of a house at May Lane.

On 5 July 1883, Bridget and Timothy had a daughter who they named Winifred, after Timothy’s sister. This was to become important in Winifred’s later years. She would later be adopted by her Aunt Winifred in 1899 and move to England.

In what was a shocking case, Timothy was arrested on 23 October 1883 for working a horse in an unfit state. The horse’s foreleg was said to be almost falling off!

TUESDAY. (Before Mr J N White, and Mr Strangman. Aggravated Case of Cruelty to Horse. —Timothy O’Hare was put forward in custody charged with cruelty to a horse by working it while in a thoroughly unfit state. High-Constable Mahony prosecuted on behalf of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Sub-Constable Stenson deposed that his attention was called about 2 o’clock the day before to the prisoner outside the Lady-lane police station ; the man had the horse and car and was plying for hire ; the horse was in such a state that it was entirely unfit to worked ; one of the forelegs was actually falling off the animal, and it was tied up with bit of old twine or rope ; the flesh was almost off the leg, and any person looking at it would easily see the tendons; he brought the case under the notice of Mr Mahony, who is the Inspector of the Society here. Prisoner said had just bought the horse at the time. He had paid 30s for it. and he was going to try to make it up and sell to the tanner. High-constable deposed that on the previous day he was sent for from tho Lady-lane police station. On going there he found the animal before the police station in car. The horse was in a most wretched state, utterly unable to work, and scarce able to stand. He got a man to remove the horse, and they had to take away the car from it. He brought the case under the notice of Dr Mackesy who gave an order that the horse should he slaughtered, and it was shot by policeman in the Corporation yard. He never in his experience saw a worse looking animal. It was covered with sores, the flesh was hanging off it, and its legs were actually laid bare. Sub-constable Stenson—Sub-inspector Milling met this man plying for hire previously on South Parade and intended to have man sent after him. He was semi state of drunkenness when I arrested him, and he refused to give me his address. Tho prisoner said he did not drink. He was not out for hire, and was only taking the horse round by the Leper Hospital to wash him. Prisoner, in reply to the bench, said he had no questions to ask the high constable. Constable Doyle said that on the 28th of last month prisoner was fined for cruelty to two goats, which he had harnessed to some sort of cart. Prisoner—One of youngsters ran away with them and I only wanted to bring them back. I was not going to work the horse ; I was just after giving 30s for it. Sub-constable Stenson—lt was not worth 4d. Prisoner—l could have got £2 10s for him few minutes afterwards. Their Worships inflicted fine of £l, or in default 14 days’ imprisonment. An application from the prisoner for time to pay the penalty was refused. <span class="su-quote-cite">Waterford Standard - Wednesday 24 October 1883</span>
[aesop_image imgwidth=”content” img=”https://www.thesocialhistorian.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Farriers-at-Waterford.jpg” align=”center” lightbox=”on” captionposition=”left” revealfx=”off” overlay_revealfx=”off”]

Without a horse, Timothy’s car driving business was at risk so he harnessed a pair of goats to his cart instead. On  23 October 1883, he was duly arrested for cruelty to the two goats and served 14 days in gaol.

In November, he was arrested for being drunk on William Street on 7 November 1883 and was fined 2s 6d and 6p costs. On the same night, his wife Bridget accused him of assaulting her but later withdrew the charge. The following year on 10 February 1884, he was charged with drunkenness and served 24 hours in gaol. A few months later, he was drunk on the job and fined 2s and 6d and 1s cost or 24 hours imprisonment for being drunk while in charge of a horse and car.

On 13 September 1884, Timothy was arrested for being drunk in a public place on the quay but was discharged but the following day, he was again arrested, this time for wantonly assaulting a police officer. He served 14 days in gaol. On 30 September 1884, he was charged with trespass and served 48 hours.

Foot path

Timothy started off the new year by being arrested on 21 January 1885 for obstructing a public footpath and served one week imprisonment. A few months of relative peace followed and on 11 May 1885, Bridget gave birth to another daughter who they named Mary Bridget after Timothy’s mother. But only days after her birth, they were evicted for non-payment of rent at their home on Harrington Lane. Perhaps out of consideration for the new baby, they were given 10 days to vacate.

For the next couple of years, Timothy went up to court regularly. On 4 August 1885: drunk and disorderly in a public place at Gow’s lane; on 15 August 1885: being drunk in a public place at Patrick Street and fined 2s 6p and 6p costs or 24 hours imprisonment; on 3 September 1885: for drunkenness and served 24 hours; on 25 May 1887: for being drunk in a public place at Benesford Street but was discharged; on 27 December 1887: being drunk and disorderly in Barrack Street but was unable to find bail to appear and was fined 10s and 1s cost or one week in gaol; on the same day: assaulting Constable James Desanny who was in discharge of his duty; on 18 January 1888: being drunk and held for 24 hours.

The on 23 Feburary 1888, Timothy and Bridget had another child, a girl who they named Helen. With so many children now to support, Timothy turned his attention to working as a bailiff but the temptation proved great and on 22 June 1888, he was charged with embezzlement of £10.

A LOCAL EMBEZZLEMENT CASE. At the City Sessions yesterday, before the Mayor, (Captain Toole), Mr John Slattery, Mr John Ryao, and Mr M J Cox, Timothy O’Hare, described bailiff, was charged in the custody of Head Constable Coleman, with having embezzled £10, the property of Mrs Cassin, of Ballykillaboy, near Kilmacow. Head Constable Coleman said the prisoner was employed in April by Mr Feely, solicitor, execute a decree for £23 against Mrs Cassio, of Ballykillaboy. Prisoner went there accompanied man named Fewer, and was paid £10 which he appropriated. Afterwards going to England, Fewer gave himself up to the police. Mrs Mary Cassia, examined by Head Constable Coleman deposed—l live in County Kilkenny and am farmer’s wife. I was indebted to Mr Fitzpatrick of this city, shopkeeper, the amount of £23. A decree for that amount was issued against me. The prisoner called on me on the 7th April, to execute the decree. Did he ask for the amount of the decree ? He said any settlement that I made he would agree to. Was there another man there ? Yes. A man named Fewer. Was your husband present ? No. Who else ! Thomas Murphy ; when the prisoner arrived the house and demanded the money I sent for Murphy, Did you pay any money on account of that decree ? I handed £10 to Murphy and he handed it over to Timothy O’Hare. Mr Ryan – Who is Thomas Murphy ? Head Constable Coleman—He is neighbour whom she called in as witness. Mr Ryan (to witness)—Did you see Murphy handing over the money to O’Hare ? Witness—l did not. Mr Ryan—You just swore that you did. Witness—l saw them sign a receipt. Who signed ? The two men, Fewer and the prisoner. What was that receipt for ? Witness—For £10 received on foot of the amount of the decree. Cross-examined—Did I ask you if you were Mary Cassin? You did. Did you say not to go into the house, that your husband, Mr Cassin, thought that that that decree was settled long ago ? I did. Did you say that you would be murdered if your husband heard it ? I said there would be noise. Did you offer me whiskey and money if I didn’t go ! No. Did you tell me that you would send for Thomas Murphy and not to drive off the cattle ? Yes. Do you know what settlement Murphy and I made ? I don’t. Did you see him give me any money ? I did not. Did you say you would pay Mr Feely in August? Mr Ryan What has that to say to the charge ! Prisoner—l have right to ask her any questions I like. The Mayor—Yes, but they must be pertinent to the case. Fitzpatrick deposed—I got a decree renewed from last year for £23 against Edmond and Mary Cassio, Ballykillaboy, Co Kilkenny ; employed Mr Feely to execute that decree ; I did not receive £10 from any person on foot of that decree ; Mr Feely was acting as my agent and solicitor ; I never saw the decree. Head-constable Coleman—I cannot go further today in the absence of Mr Feely, who cannot possibly be present, being in Dublin now. I ask for remand for eight days. The application was granted, and the prisoner remanded,<span class="su-quote-cite">Waterford Standard - Saturday 30 June 1888</span>
THE ALLEGED EMBEZZLEMENT BY A BAILIFF. Timothy O’Hare, bailiff, was brought before the Mayor, Captain Toole), the City Sessions yesterday, charged with having embezzled the sum £10, the property of Mrs Cassin, Ballykillaboy. The evidence given on the previous day was repeated, Head-constable Coleman prosecuted, and Mr P J Power defended. Thomas Murphy, Ballykillaboy. deposed that he was a labourer. He remembered last April. In that month Mrs Cassin sent a messenger to him, and on going to see what she wanted she said there were bailiffs in her place. The prisoner was in the field with the cattle ; he was accompanied by man named Fewer ; the cattle were seized at the time ; they told witness that they had a decree against Mr Edward Cassin, that they had been sent there by Mr Feely. Head-constable Coleman—Which of them told you that ? The prisoner O’Hare. They did not drive the cattle away. Mrs Cassin and I went over to them and I asked O’Hare if they would make a settlement. He said he would do anything that was reasonable. I asked what was the amount of the decree, and he replied £20. Will you take £10? I said yes, as a settlement for the present, and he agreed but added that he could not take less. Mrs Cassin said she had £5, and I said I would make up the balance. This was done, and I handed £10 to the prisoner, receiving receipt produced. Mr Power cross-examined the witness at some length with a view to show that the £10 was “hush’ money, and not part payment of the amount of the decree. …. The prisoner was further remanded, bail being accepted, himself in £20 and two sureties of £10 each.<span class="su-quote-cite">Waterford Standard - Saturday 07 July 1888</span>

Timothy was found guilty and sentenced to three months in gaol but was released on 23 July 1888, his sentence commuted.

By the following summer, Timothy was back in stride. On 26 June 1889 he was imprisoned for assault on the police after being found drunk in Carrigeen Lane.

[aesop_image imgwidth=”content” img=”https://www.thesocialhistorian.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Laundry-at-Waterford-Infirmary.jpg” align=”center” lightbox=”on” caption=”Laundry at Waterford Infirmary” captionposition=”left” revealfx=”off” overlay_revealfx=”off”]

Then in early 1890, two things happened. Bridget delivered a daughter who they named Joanna on 2 February 1890, but was immediately taken to the Workhouse infirmary for an abscess. She died on 11 February. Timothy was convinced that the doctor did not do enough to save her and instigated an inquest but the court found for the doctor.

INQUEST THE WORKHOUSE. On Thursday morning, an inquest was held in the Waterford Union Workhouse on the body of Bridget O’Hare, married woman, who died in that institution on the previous day. Head Constable Twiss had charge of the proceedings on the part of the police. The Coroner E N Power, Esq), empanelled the jury, which Mr Jackson, John street was foreman, to ascertain the cause of death. Dr Whitty, and two pauper nurses were examined, as well as the husband of the deceased, and from their evidence it appeared that the deceased was delicate woman having been in hospital on several previous occasions. She was there last Christmas and left. She was again admitted on the 7th inst, immediately after she left the lying-in-hospital. It was found that she suffered from an abscess in her side which caused her great pain. To relieve her an operation was successfully performed by Dr Whitty, he reduced her suffering so much that she thanked the doctor for his kindness. But she also suffered from congestion of the lungs, this was the cause of death. The deceased’s husband cross-examined the witnesses with the view to elicit some evidence that would show that his wife was not properly treated, hut nothing of this nature was drawn out. On the contrary the evidence showed that the woman had been treated with every kindness, and the medical skill that her case required, and the jury concurred in this opinion. One of that jury, Mr Jackson, was asked by the deceased husband to give evidence, and in answer to series of questions, he stated that the deceased was delicate woman, and was in hospital at Christmas. Head-Constable Twiss stated that it was in consequence of what the deceased’s husband said to him that he communicated with the Coroner. He (the head-constable) gathered from O’Hare that he suspected that his wife had not been properly treated, and he persisted in making the charge, there was no other course open but to consult the Coroner. In fact O’Hare threatened that if he (the head-constable) did not do his duty in the matter, that he would report him to Captain Sheke, to which he replied that was new thing to be charged with not doing his duty, as he understood a very large section of the community blamed him for doing it too well. From what had been revealed in the case there was not the faintest foundation for any charges of neglect or ill-treatment. The Coroner said Head constable acted very properly. It was a case that required to be investigated. The jury then found that the deceased, Bridget O’Hare, aged 35 years, died in the Union Workhouse Hospital on the 12th February, from congestion of the lungs.”<span class="su-quote-cite">Waterford Standard - Saturday 15 February 1890</span>

Left with small children, Timothy need to marry again and on 2 May 1890, Ellen Wright became his wife.

Nothing appeared to change in the O’Hare household. Timothy continued his brushes with the law. On 30 May 1890: charged with having one unlicensed dog in his possession at Carrigeen Lane and fined 2s 6p and 1s cost or 48 hours in prisonment; on 18 July 1890 assault on his wife on 13 July and several other occasions but did not appear; on 30 September 1890; charged with being drunk in a public place in Lady Lane but was discharged; on Christmas Eve, 24 Dec 1890: charged with being drunk in a public place on Patrick Street; on 27 December 1890; again charged with being drunk but this time served 24 hours.

[aesop_image imgwidth=”content” img=”https://www.thesocialhistorian.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Police-in-Waterford.jpg” align=”center” lightbox=”on” captionposition=”left” revealfx=”off” overlay_revealfx=”off”]
Timothy O’Hare pleaded guilty having been drunk under the following circumstances:– At a quarter to 8 o’clock on Monday night he came to the barrack. Lady lane, and complained that woman had assaulted him by throwing stones him. He was drunk at the time, and gave a great deal of Impudence. Ultimately, he had to be arrested, and placed the lock-up. Mr Ryan (to Constable Tees, who prosecuted): You thought it best to put him there? Constable Tees: Yes; he was in that condition that” he was not safe to be at large. Mr Ryan: Is he known? Sergeant Connolly: In June 1889, he was sentenced to two months’ imprisonment for assaulting the police. Prisoner: That’s not so; it was June twelve months. Ryan: he says—June 1889. Don’t be afraid, you will get credit for everything you have done (laughter). Prisoner explained that he had not been up for long time, and would not again trouble the court if let off. Mr Ryan said would take him at his word, and give him chance. The prisoner was then discharged. <span class="su-quote-cite">Waterford Standard - Wednesday 01 October 1890</span>

The on 8 August 1891, Timothy was charged with assaulting Ellen O’Hare the previous day at Patrick Street in view of Constable Bryan Kelly. He was ordered to stay away from her for twelve months. Ellen would have been two months pregnant at the time since on 14 February 1892, Ellen gave birth to a boy who she named John.

[aesop_image imgwidth=”content” img=”https://www.thesocialhistorian.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Assault-on-Ellen.jpg” align=”center” lightbox=”on” caption=”WATERFORD PRISON GENERAL REGISTER 1888-1892″ captionposition=”left” revealfx=”off” overlay_revealfx=”off”]

At some point shortly afterwards, Timothy O’Hare left his wife Ellen and his children in Waterford City, boarded a boat and set off for London, England.

The children were taken into the workhouse.

Perhaps concerned that he was not far enough away from his responsibilities, he changed his name to Timothy Sullivan and enrolled with the Self-Help emigration society who was planning an emigration scheme to Canada. He enrolled as the husband of a young widow named Jessie Bond, my great-grandmother and as father to her three children.

The Sullivan family boarded the Lake Huron on 14 April 1894 and arrived in Montreal 32 days later on 26 April 1894.

[aesop_image imgwidth=”content” img=”https://www.thesocialhistorian.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Lake-Huron-IMUSA1858_005-0069.jpg” align=”center” lightbox=”on” caption=”Lake Huron” captionposition=”left” revealfx=”off” overlay_revealfx=”off”]